Forum Topic

When you first posted something did seem odd about your account and I'm afraid, Rosco, that Alan's explanation makes far more sense than yours. I'm sure it is a genuine misunderstanding on your part. Shoplifting is a huge problem in the area with some retailers blaming the number of homeless men in the vicinity of the High Street. However, whatever you think about the Oaks, it is well set up to combat theft. There is CCTV surveillance and plenty of security and once you exit a shop you have a distance to travel before you can get outside the centre. I do see people trying to leave Lidl without paying for bags a lot. Whether it is a genuine mistake or they are trying it on, the problem is that if they are challenged when walking out of the shop they would  need to go to the back of a long queue with their shopping to pay for an item costing a few pence. If you are paying by cash the wait can be very long so I can see why some people might be a bit miffed at having to do this and why the guards are inclined to let people off. The problem with shoplifting seems far worse in Chiswick than it is in Acton. There the stores face out onto the High Road so if you are inclined to steal stuff you can get away more easily. This time last year I went to the Waitrose to buy a particular brand of gin they stocked. There seemed to be no spirits in stock but when I asked a member of staff about when they would be getting a delivery they said they had plenty in the back but weren't putting it on display because it would be gone within minutes.

Alison Howard ● 514d