Forum Topic

Maddening behaviour from Ealing council

I thought you might be interested in this story about truly perverse behaviour from Ealing Council.Our yoga studio, Yoga West, has been running a local campaign to clean up Warple Way in Acton. People sometimes flytip and leave food waste on the street. When this happens, foxes rip open the bags. It's a beautiful street with Edwardian and Victoria commercial premises, however, the refuse can turn it from looking nice to looking awful.In response we have organised a campaign to do the following:Put up posters to remind people not to do thisRegularly litter pick on the streetCreated a group to watch out for people who do flytip and report them to Ealing.Organised regular communication with local councillors and the envirocrime team at Ealing to stop flytippingAs a building we take our environmental responsibilities seriously and although amazingly there is still no legal obligation for commercial properties to recycle, I and the other Directors of the building agreed to engage a recycling company for curbside recycling collection. This has been in place for about 5-years.It appears that on one of the times I personally reported flytipping to the Ealing team; one of our team forgot to attach stickers to our cardboard for curbside recycling. We have hired a number of new people as we try to grow the organisation after the pandemic. We don't really have much flattened cardboard and it appears that when they put out recycling for collection they forgot to do this.Instead of finding the flytippers Ealing council has issued us with a PCN for forgetting our stickers even though we called them in and we are spearheading a campaign to clean up the street!Esp. perverse when you realise how hard trading is for local businesses after the pandemic. I find this decision completely, completely incomprehensible and am frankly furious at the ridiculousness and insanity of the situation.James

James M Muthana ● 689d6 Comments

In my experience the present Ealing Council does not inspire much confidence. One reason is the way that libraries have been downgraded and the council seemed so driven to do this, irrespective of public opinion. Another is planning: - getting rid of planning notification letters in June 2015, which in my case, earlier, was really useful and necessary when a development took place next door to me and my family. The then council leader Julian Bell said to me, in May 2015, that Tory cuts forced him to do this, and not notify the people likely to be affected by developments.Yet this council, under him and his successor seem to have  all the time and money to endear themselves to developers. This, in order to build council tax farms in the form of erecting phallic death trap high rise towers, filled with rabbit hutch sized homes everywhere. Manor Road, by West Ealing station is an example of this, and not keeping records of what housing has been approved, legally required Authority Monitoring Reports for at least five years.Near where I live, the council banned cars left turns out of Longfield Avenue, by Ealing Town Hall into Uxbridge Road and right turns from Uxbridge Road into Longfield Avenue. This it seems to be a cynical cash raising exercise, increasing traffic elsewhere. All this so that the council top dogs can feel safe and "environmentally friendly" about themselves walking between the Town Hall and Perceval House.These are examples, further to your experience, James, that the present Ealing Council do not seem to use common sense and discretion on the ground. They seem to be disingenuous, virtue signalling and officious from above against the people. That is my opinion, and that is why I wrote comment earlier, on the 8th June. That is why the present Ealing Council does not fill me with much confidence.

Anthony Hawran ● 687d