Forum Topic

Most people never ever needed such large bins.  Other Councils started with large bins and then swapped them for smaller ones as their residents learned how to reduce the amount of waste they created.Residents asked if they could share bins because of the size thinking they would be sharing the standard size but were presented with even larger ones.The original waste hierarchy was Reduce Reuse Recycle.  I've always worked with a larger one but was recently sent an even larger new one:  RETHINK    your choicesREFUSE      single useREDUCE      consumptionREUSE      everything you canREFURBISH  old stuffREPAIR      before you replaceREPURPOSE  be creative and reinventRECYCLE    the last optionWe've reduced our waste so don't even put out one black sack once a month.  We generally fill the green box.  We've just signed up for the garden waste bags.  We have a wormery in the garden and don't always even fill the very important food waste bin:  worms don't like a few things eg orange peel and onions and Life is too short to peel potatoes.I too think that the bins have blighted our properties and roads.  Most people already used bins - there were just a few who didn't and didn't take responsibility for their waste.I was reading a commercial waste contract recently and the company is responsible for clearing up anything the contractos spill when they empty the the big metal eurobins (very rare).  Why don't householders have to do/expect to do this?

Philippa Bond ● 945d