Forum Topic

Joaquin Phoenix is looking middle-aged and weary as Johnnie, a single man living in New York, when he isn't travelling the country interviewing adolescents about their hopes and fears for the future for his radio broadcasts. His sister Viv lives in LA with her 9-year-old son Jesse. The siblings didn't get on for most of their lives but the death of their mother a year ago has brought about a rapprochement and, when Viv has to go and help her bipolar ex-husband Paul who is having an episode in Oakland, Johnnie agrees to look after Jesse.The kid is odd, maybe something of his father in him. He brims with emotion and has, perhaps, been told too many truths for his age by his mother. What 9-year-old needs to know that his mum once had an abortion, a fact that even Johnnie didn't know?Viv's mercy mission takes longer than expected as Paul is hospitalised and Johnnie takes Jesse back to New York with him, then to New Orleans for work.There is something of an end-of-days feel to this film which is shot in black and white. The kids Johnnie interviews are not optimistic about their future lives and feel that adults have let them down. These interviews feel, incidentally, very real and are, I suspect, genuine rather than scripted lines delivered by child actors. Manhattan can look lovely but LA and Detroit, where the film begins, are blanketed in smog and almost gridlocked with traffic.It's a most unusual and compelling film which does not, as I say, offer much hope. That makes it sound depressing, which is isn't, or not too much.

Susan Kelly ● 873d

If you can't find a turkey this Christmas, try your local Odeon.It's Christmas 1991, almost exactly 30 years ago and a matter of months before Diana Spencer called time on her ill-fated marriage. As always, she has to spend the festive season with the in-laws at Sandringham.Sandringham is a stolidly ugly country house, which you'd think would be hard to love. The producers have found a more elegant German country house to play it, perhaps fearing that filming in the UK would result in a spell in the Tower.Kristen Stewart impresses as Diana and nails her voice and fey mannerisms. The queen is here portrayed by Stella Gonet and Jack Farthing, a favourite of mine, is the hapless Charles. It seemed odd to cast a German actor as Philip and a Slovakian one as the queen mother but it turns out that neither speaks. Diana prefers to converse with the staff, although not Tim Spall's stiff-backed  equerry who keeps telling her orf.It's her story and she is presumably meant to be the heroine but she is seriously tiresome -- clearly in need of medical/psychiatric help but refusing to accept that fact, constantly rudely late for everything.The film is silly and dull. Almost every scene goes on much longer than it should, dragging out minor conversations.It also feels as if it was flung together carelessly. Diana leaves Sandringham on Boxing Day in glorious sunshine without a cloud in the sky; minutes later, she's driving through the Norfolk countryside with dark heavy clouds as far as the eye can see. A Land Rover early in the film has a 2016 Reg -- not glimpsed for a second but on screen solidly for about two minutes, having presumably fallen through a wormhole from the future.Not even bad enough to be entertaining.

Susan Kelly ● 900d

Eloise has had a sheltered upbringing in Cornwall with her elderly grandmother. Her mother went to London in her youth but killed herself when Eloise was 7. Now Eloise is also off to London, having got a place to study fashion at a prestigious college. She is obsessed by the fashions of the 1960s.The room mate she's been allocated in her student accommodation is a complete bitch and Eloise soon answers an advert for a bedsit at the top of a house in Soho owned by an elderly spinster. But when she goes to sleep at night, Eloise keeps finding herself in Soho in the 1960s, always following a girl of her own age named Sandy. Sandy is nothing like Eloise, being confident and cool. She wants to be a singer but soon finds that girls like her are just prey in Soho in the 60s and Eloise watches in dismay as the 'boyfriend' who offers to be her manager is soon her pimp.Eloise dyes her hair blond to resemble Sandy and it's not long before the two lives are bleeding into each other, which may bring Eloise into danger. Eloise is convinced that Sandy was murdered. She even goes to the police, who humour her. It's more than a bog-standard horror. Eloise's loneliness is almost palpable despite the best efforts of sweet young fellow student John. There's a great cast, including Matt Smith, Rita Tushingham (having a moment what with her role in Ridley Road), Terence Stamp and an almost unrecognisable Diana Rigg, in what must surely have been her last role.You'll probably enjoy it more if you remember the 60s. I can remember singing along to Down Town by Petula Clark.

Susan Kelly ● 905d

Jean de Carrouges and Jacques le Gris are squires, soldiers in the French army and on good terms. It's the 14th century, just a generation after the Black Death wiped out half of Europe, including Jean's wife and children. During a break in warfare, he marries Marguerite, the wealthy daughter of a reformed traitor. She is young, beautiful, educated, whereas he is illiterate. Nevertheless, the marriage seems happy although even after two years, there's no sign of a son and heir.Their overlord is the Duc D'Alencon, a debauched and arrogant man. He doesn't care for simple, often tactless Jean, but takes a shine to Jacques, who is educated (he was originally intended for the Church) and takes over the management of his estates, including beating people's taxes out of them. Soon Jacques has the captaincy of a castle which has been in Jean's family for generations, although Jean is the one elevated to knighthood after a campaign in Scotland.Jacques has become infatuated with Marguerite and, convinced that his feelings are returned rapes her one day. Rather than keep quiet about it for the sake of her good name, Marguerite accuses him openly and, when Alencon won't do anything, Jean demands the right of mortal combat to prove who is telling the truth. And so the last duel fought in France takes place, after two hours of build-up, and it's nail-biting. If Jacques wins then Marguerite will be 'proved' a liar and burned alive. Simpler times.It's an odd film in that it must have been expensive to make, with the sets, the costumes, the battle scenes, paying Matt Damon and Adam Driver, but it's hard to see whom its intended audience is, other than Adam Driver fans, of whom I am one. On the other hand, you could say that it's Game of Thrones without the dragons. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it's a shade too long but it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Susan Kelly ● 907d

Okay, this is the last of my London Film Festival reviews, I promise, but as a lot of these films probably won't be released until next year or even the year after...I'll be back.Here, Joel Coen takes on the Bard.  Expectations, to say the least, were high, but as I watched all I could think was, "Didn't Orson Welles do this already?"  Because back in 1948, Welles did a low-budget, studio-set, pared-back black-and-white version of the play. Coen's version, like Welles' is in black and white and also filmed entirely on studio sets and even shown in 1:33 aspect, giving it an old-fashioned look.  The monochrome cinematography is pretty dazzling, using the towering sets and deep shadows in almost Expressionistic style, and it's packed with what...well, what should have been a great cast.  Unfortunately, Denzel Washington, as Macbeth, is dismal.  I'm no Shakespeare purist, and don't have time for those who wax fervently about spondees, trochees and how you have to hit the right pentameter (blah, blah, blah) but I DO ask that the lines make sense and convey a meaning.  Washington, who I know has stage experience, just reduced everything to a meaningless string of words.  At first I liked his lugubrious, war-weary take, but as the film went on, everything suffered.  The post-Duncan murder scene (oh, yeah: spoilers!) which should crackle with fear and tension, here has all the fervor of a suburban couple discussing who lost the TV remote.  And it goes on: Birnam Wood on the march?  Not born of woman?  Whatevs. I also, watching the studio sets and wooden battlements roll by, kept wishing it was a bit more inventive, but there were occasional inspired moments:  the mercurial and very, very flexible Kathryn Hunter does all Wyrd sisters and their appearances are nicely spooky and imaginative. There are some good peformances and it all does look really, really great.  It's a fair go at the story, but there are already many others out there that do it better.

Adam Kimmel ● 920d

Rory O'Hara (Jude Law) is a Brit who's been living in New York for years, with his American wife, Alison, his son and step-daughter. He's a financial wheeler-dealer. He's made good money in the past but things haven't been going so well lately and he decides to move back to the UK to take advantage of the imminent Big Bang in the City. Yes, it's the 80s and it's so weird to see people smoking in restaurants. Was it really that long ago? I suppose it was. Civilisations have risen and fallen.He rents a massive house in the Surrey countryside, enrols his son at an expensive school, buys a Mercedes and a horse for Alison.The trouble is that Rory is a boaster to whom lying comes as easily as breathing and even City wide-boys know bullshit when they smell it. Who does that remind me of? His career is soon going no better in London than it did in New York and the cheques are starting to bounce. He's told Alison and the kids that he has no family but soon turns up on the doorstep of his old mum (Anne Reid) in her council flat. He gets short shrift there but at least he doesn't try to borrow money.Meanwhile, 10-year-old Benjamin is being bullied at his posh school and his stepdaughter has hooked up with some not wholly convincing local yoofs. Is there a curse on the house? Or on the family? Is Rory the curse?It's a slow burn. It's almost half way through before you get any sense that anything is wrong. It's all perfectly watchable (though the actress playing Alison has clearly never smoked a fag before in her life) but I wasn't sure what point it was trying to make. There's a coherent plot, stuff happens, and then it ends, rather abruptly. Is the message that liars never prosper? Tell that the Boris Johnson.

Susan Kelly ● 971d

First film I have seen at the newly opened Chiswick Cinema on what is this documentary film's global premiere and with televised Q&A at end. Very nice cinema and looks like such one offs will be a part of this cinema's overall offering with four screens and pretty luxurious seats and facilities compared with most chains.This is a follow on documentary by well known UK director Nick Broomfield from his 2002 documentary "Biggie & Tupac", about two famous '90s rap singers and their murders. This documentary revisits those murders but the main emphasis is on Suge Knight who owned the very successful record label they were on, the aptly named Death Row records (and the last man of the film's title).I am not a lover of rap music (all the music used in the film comes with subtitles) but the main story is about revisiting the murders given over 20 years on with no convictions plus more information being available. Also with the subsequent fall of Suge and his record label, people closely involved with him are now willing to be more open as to what happened and actually went on.Without giving too much away the film is the usual sad tale of major fortunes gone missing and rock excesses lifestyle plus a probe of the very questionable role of the police (LAPD) in events. I actually came away thinking that Suge was pretty close to a black US version of Led Zeppelin's manager Peter Grant, for those who know the latter's life story!Overall a much better made and structured documentary than the original though there is overlap inevitably (including some footage used). This was a one off showing so do not know if it will be shown again at this cinema soon.

Joe Conneely ● 1030d