Forum Topic

Hello Abdul, we haven’t yet unearthed a picture of Thomas Pakenham (1787-1846) who, according to RNG (Gwilym) Rowlands in the 3rd edition (1997) of his ‘Acton From A to Z’, resided at Shalimar House on what is now the top end of Julian Avenue for the last four years of his life (1842-1846). This is different, of course, from Shalimar Lodge which is at the bottom of Shalimar Gardens (renamed from Pembridge Road in 1904) adjoining Horn Lane, and which was built sometime after WWII bomb damage around that section of Horn Lane and Shalimar Gardens. I’m sorry I don’t know when that building was constructed - it’s probably late 1960s. I do have a picture of Thomas P’s father, Admiral Sir Thomas Pakenham (1757-1836), Thomas was his 3rd son. Wikipedia link here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pakenham_(Royal_Navy_officer)I also have a picture of his grandfather, Thomas Pakenham 1st Baron Longford (1713-1766). Wikipedia link here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pakenham,_1st_Baron_Longford. If you message me directly, I'll send them to you.Our Thomas P was married in Madras (now Chennai) in 1815 to Isabella Mary Wetherall (1727-1827), (daughter of Frederick Augustus Wetherall of Castlebar House Ealing) whilst working as an officer of the East India Company, listed in that company’s records for that year. He also makes an appearance in the ‘Regimental Book of His Majesty’s Seventy Second’ (foot soldiers) 15 years earlier in 1800, being described as follows - height 5’5” of fair complexion, round visage, blue eyes and fair or brown hair. Thomas P is also a descendent of the current 8th Earl of Longford, Thomas Francis Dermot Pakenham (b.1933) who is a historian and writer, and a cousin of Harriet Harman - Wikipedia entry here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pakenham_(historian).RNG Rowlands suggests that Thomas P’s house ‘Shalimar’ was named after Shalimar (or more correctly Shalamar) Gardens in Lahore, part of modern-day Pakistan. However, there are many gardens named Shalimar in the region, such as the one in Kashmir at Srinaga, along with another behind the University in Delhi. ‘Shala’ refers to ‘pleasure’ and ‘mar’ to ‘the place to live in’ so is undoubtedly a popular name. Without definite evidence, it’s hard to know which one Pakenham may have been inspired by - though it does seem clear that he renamed the house built originally on part of Acton Farm, because there seems to be no record of it under that name prior to his residnce there. Hope that helps!

Glynne Steele ● 1198d

Hello Mr. Tailor. When I moved to Shalimar gardens in 1994 there was an old lady who lived next door to me. She had lived here during W.W.2 and remembered the bomb landing on Horn lane which destroyed the previous houses where Shalimar lodge now is. She said that the crater left by the bomb was very deep and you could have stacked two double decker busses in it. I asked her " gosh, weren't you frightened? " and she replied that the people who lived here then were too tired to be frightened! She said most of the men were away fighting, the children had been evacuated and the women worked in the factories. She said she worked long hours in a factory down near Acton Park ( now access storage company) and when she got home she made tea and went to bed. It was exhausting times. From your post, it seems you might possibly know all of the following already. There were two wonderful local historians named Tom and Averil Harper Smith ( both now deceased) who did research into all things to do with Acton. They did extensive research about Thomas Pakenham ( 1787- 1846) and about other owners of the house named Shalimar. Shalimar gardens is apparently built on the original driveway up to the house which was a girls school around 1887 and pulled down to make room for Julian Avenue housing around 1904-I'm not exactly sure when. The Harper Smiths state that a governor of India had also named his house Shalimar so Pakenham might have taken the name from that. Thomas Pakenham is buried in St. Mary's church Acton ( near Morrisons) and his will can be read on the internet. There is a famous picture of Shalimar house Acton which is produced in some of the Acton history books.

Mrs.Kyria- Josephine Sewell ● 1203d

Hello Mr. Tailor. When I moved to Shalimar gardens in 1994 there was an old lady who lived next door to me. She had lived here during W.W.2 and remembered the bomb landing on Horn lane which destroyed the previous houses where Shalimar lodge now is. She said that the crater left by the bomb was very deep and you could have stacked two double decker busses in it. I asked her " gosh, weren't you frightened? " and she replied that the people who lived here then were too tired to be frightened! She said most of the men were away fighting, the children had been evacuated and the women worked in the factories. She said she worked long hours in a factory down near Acton Park ( now access storage company) and when she got home she made tea and went to bed. It was exhausting times. From your post, it seems you might possibly know all of the following already. There were two wonderful local historians named Tom and Averil Harper Smith ( both now deceased) who did research into all things to do with Acton. They did extensive research about Thomas Pakenham ( 1787- 1846) and about other owners of the house named Shalimar. Shalimar gardens is apparently built on the original driveway up to the house which was a girls school around 1887 and pulled down to make room for Julian Avenue housing around 1904-I'm not exactly sure when. The Harper Smiths state that a governor of India had also named his house Shalimar so Pakenham might have taken the name from that. Thomas Pakenham is buried in St. Mary's church Acton ( near Morrisons) and his will can be read on the internet. There is a famous picture of Shalimar house Acton which is produced in some of the Acton history books.

Mrs.Kyria- Josephine Sewell ● 1203d