Minimum Four-year Wait for Ealing Broadway Station Upgrade


Lack of funding means delay in safety measures


Passengers boarding the train at Ealing Broadway station

March 24, 2025

A programme of safety upgrades at Ealing Broadway station is not scheduled to happen for at least another four years, it has been revealed.

Works to lower the Elizabeth line tracks will not take place until April 2029 at the earliest, despite the large gap between the train and platform having caused multiple serious injuries.

The track and platforms are owned by Network Rail, but the organisation says it is “not currently funded to carry out” the required improvements until its next “control period” funding window.

Ealing’s local London Assembly member, Bassam Mahfouz, has called the situation “unacceptable”, as he warns that passengers’ “safety and dignity” is at stake.

The BBC reported between May and July last year on three passengers who each suffered serious injuries on the station’s Elizabeth line platforms, including broken bones, cuts and severe gashes. The London Standard has separately reported on a four-year-old girl who took several days to recover after falling and smashing her knee.

Extra signage and loudspeaker announcements have been introduced at the station by the Elizabeth line’s operator, MTR Elizabeth line, as an interim measure to warn passengers about the 12-inch platform gap, as well as additional staff keeping an eye as trains arrive and depart.

But a permanent design solution to the problem is still years away, Sir Sadiq Khan has revealed in answer to a written question on the issue from Mr Mahfouz.

The Mayor told the Labour Assembly member: “As owner of the track and station at Ealing Broadway, Network Rail has completed outline feasibility work on track lowering.

“Network Rail is looking to include this in its next Control Period, commencing in April 2029, when the works can be scheduled as part of wider track renewal.”

Approached for comment, Network Rail did not deny Sir Sadiq’s suggestion that the works will not take place for at least another four years.

A spokeswoman for the organisation told the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS), “Although we are not currently funded to carry out improvements to the platforms at Ealing Broadway, we are in the process of developing options to improve safety at the station with our partners at TfL and MTR Elizabeth line.

“These options are being discussed with our partners as part of our joint safety improvement plan.”

Network Rail sources point out that the organisation has “worked with” MTR Elizabeth line on the interim measures at the station, including the installation of a new barrier “to enhance the management of passenger flow” and the extension of a handrail.

Mr Mahfouz said these changes were “not enough” and he would “not accept inaction” over the fundamental design issue.

“The Mayor will know that when it comes to accessibility, I don’t take no for an answer – because accessibility is not a privilege, it’s a right,” he told the LDRS.

“He and the [Transport for London] Commissioner have rightly acknowledged the unacceptable gap at Ealing Broadway station’s Elizabeth line platform and have taken initial steps, including investing in additional staffing and interim measures. However, these are not enough.

“A feasibility report from Network Rail, who bear the responsibility for resolving this issue, is expected imminently. If a permanent resolution remains years away due to funding constraints, I will not accept inaction.

“As one of the UK’s busiest stations, commuters deserve meaningful interim measures to be proposed, funded, and implemented without delay. The safety and dignity of passengers cannot wait.”

Noah Vickers - Local Democracy Reporter


Like Reading Articles Like This? Help Us Produce More

This site remains committed to providing local community news and public interest journalism.

Articles such as the one above are integral to what we do. We aim to feature as much as possible on local societies, charities based in the area, fundraising efforts by residents, community-based initiatives and even helping people find missing pets.

We've always done that and won't be changing, in fact we'd like to do more.

However, the readership that these stories generates is often below that needed to cover the cost of producing them. Our financial resources are limited and the local media environment is intensely competitive so there is a constraint on what we can do.

We are therefore asking our readers to consider offering financial support to these efforts. Any money given will help support community and public interest news and the expansion of our coverage in this area.

A suggested monthly payment is £8 but we would be grateful for any amount for instance if you think this site offers the equivalent value of a subscription to a daily printed newspaper you may wish to consider £20 per month. If neither of these amounts is suitable for you then contact info@neighbournet.com and we can set up an alternative. All payments are made through a secure web site.

One-off donations are also appreciated. Choose The Amount You Wish To Contribute.

If you do support us in this way we'd be interested to hear what kind of articles you would like to see more of on the site – send your suggestions to the editor.

For businesses we offer the chance to be a corporate sponsor of community content on the site. For £30 plus VAT per month you will be the designated sponsor of at least one article a month with your logo appearing if supplied. If there is a specific community group or initiative you'd like to support we can make sure your sponsorship is featured on related content for a one off payment of £50 plus VAT. All payments are made through a secure web site.