They say Paul Abbott pushed a workmate out of way before being crushed by lorry
The man who died in a collision involving a refuse lorry in Northolt has been named.
Officers say the deceased is Paul John Abbott, aged 59, a father-of-five of Southall.
Police were called to Priors Field, Northolt at 7:27am on Tuesday, 4 December.
Paul Abbott
They found a refuse lorry had been in collision with Mr Abbott, one of the lorry crew. He was treated at the scene by paramedics but died in an ambulance on the way to hospital.
Colleagues told local residents that he died saving a colleague from the same fate.
A post mortem is due to take place later this week. The driver of the lorry stopped at the scene and is assisting police with their enquiries but was not arrested.
James Haluch, managing director of Amey Highways said, “We are unable to provide further details about this incident at present. However, our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with their family, friends and colleagues affected. We are working with the police to establish how this tragic event has taken place.”
Councillor Mik Sabiers, cabinet member for environment and highways said, “ The council extends its deepest sympathy to his family, friends and colleagues.
“Collection crews are being informed and sent home. Services that are impacted will be resumed Saturday and we ask for patience and understanding from residents affected during this difficult time.”
Cllr Greg Stafford, Conservative Opposition Leader said, “We are deeply saddened to learn that a member of the Amey crew died this morning whilst undertaking his duties. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and work colleagues.”
Any witnesses or anyone with an information about the incident can call police on 101 quoting CAD 1231/04Dec.
December 8, 2018